Friday, October 12, 2012

Embarrassing #2

This is my second most embarrassing moment. Equally as embarrassing, just very different from the first.

Embarrassing Moment #2

I was in my last semester at BYU. I was in a Women's Entrepreneurs Lecture Series class. Super easy 1 credit class I needed to take. You go and listen to Women come speak about their experience, take a little quiz each time, and write a couple easy papers. It was a very interesting class. I enjoyed it....for the most part.

Well because it is BYU the TA (teachers assistant) would ask someone to say a prayer at the beginning of each class. This day she asked me. Now if you know me, you know I do not enjoy saying prayers in large groups of people....and this was a pretty big group of people. I immediately start sweating profusely and get so nervous! I just hate it. Problem is I can't say no...so I just bare through the sweat and nerves. If I am asked to say the prayer I like to have some time to collect my thought on what I would like to say...but she caught me off guard and I didn't have much time to think.

praying hands
So....I get up and walk to the front of the class room, fold my arms, bow my head, and start to pray. At first it was going really well. I felt like I was being articulate, and sincere, then I got to where I WANTED to say, "Please help us take what we learn here so that we can better serve our communities." All those word came out of my mouth up until "....serve our...." and then my mind went BLANK! I could not think of the word communities for the LIFE OF ME! So I'm standing in front of this room, arms folded, head down, PANICKING! Why can't I think of this word I want to use! WHY! WHY! In my head I'm running through all the possible options...."neighborhood"..NO NO....uh...uh..."fellow people"...NO....NO....

So basically I'm having this inner dialogue in front of all these people, and I can't believe this is happening. My worst nightmare! This is all running through my head silently and I feel like I have stood up there in silence FOREVER! And then....... I start GIGGLING! Yes, out loud! Because I'm just beside myself, and it all starts to be HUMILIATINGLY FUNNY to me. And then I'm MORTIFIED for giggling in my prayer! So....I just end the pain and who knows how long of silence...."in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

I didn't dare make eye contact with anyone. I can just imagine what people were thinking/whispering to their friends. I didn't even have a friend in the class that I could find comfort in explaining what happened in my head.

So there I am a SENIOR in the Marriott School of Business, at Brigham Young University, making a complete fool of myself.

You better believe that I think about this EVERY time I get up to say a prayer in front of people.

1 comment:

Chelsea Nielsen said...

Oh my gosh! Too funny! I laughed out loud a couple times! Hilarious! I only laugh because I've done this before. Only once, but once is far too many!